Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Easy Homemade Laundry Soap (liquid)

I have recently started making my own laundry soap. I feel it works just as well as the expensive brand name products you can buy at the store but only a fraction of the price.


Liquid Laundry Detergent


  • 1 bar of soap (any scent/kind you like)
  • 1 cup Borax (which I found at my local grocery store near the name brand laundry detergents)
  • 1 cup Washing Soda (also found at my grocery store)
  • A large stock pot
  • Long Spoon
  • Water
  • Cheese Grater 
  • Funnel
  • Empty Jugs for storage (I use old milk jugs)



  1. Grate the bar of soap with the cheese grater and put into the pot.
  2. Add 1 gallon water and bring to heat until the grated soap melts.
  3. Add Borax and Washing Machine Soda and bring to a boil. It should start to coagulate.
  4. Turn the heat off and add 1 gallon cold water. Mix well and let cool a bit.
  5. Use the funnel to pour detergent into your empty jugs.
When I do laundry I use about 1/2 of a cup per load. I also give it a good shake or two before using as sometimes I find the ingredients separate a little.

One thing that was a little hard to get used to was the fact that this laundry soap does not really make suds like name brand detergent. This is not a bad thing, suds do not necessarily= clean.

Another thing I like about this soap is that it doesn't contain many ingredients and does not bother my eczema like other products do.  Also, you can make it scentless if you prefer or make it scented if you like. Just add a few drops of your favorite essential oil to a batch. 

I found the washing soda and borax for about $5 total at my local store, you only need a cup of each for a batch so you can make several batches out of a box. 

2 gallons (which this recipe makes) will give you enough for about 64 loads. (for less than $5!) 

No comments:

Post a Comment